Thursday, June 09, 2005

The Pen is Mightier

So.... I love to read. Unfortunately, I don't have too much time each day to do so, so a book of 700 pages can take a month to read. I am always amazed at how much you can become engrossed in and attached to characters in books. I'm speaking mainly of books in a series as they not only have the one novel adventure, they have several and the dedication and commitment of time involved as a good series can go for years.
Currently I am reading Stephen King's The Dark Tower series. I truly believe it to be one of the finest collections I have ever read. I'm not a huge Stephen King fan... or at least, I wasn't. This is unlike anything he has ever written. Most people think of King and they immediately think HORROR. Lest we forget his is the pen that brought us the Shawshank Redemption, the Green Mile, and The Body (aka Stand By Me). I highly recommend that anyone who even enjoys a good story a little bit, please, do yourself a favor, read The Dark Tower. Book 1, The Gunslinger, is a tough read. It seems kind of drawn out and there are names and references that you don't understand. But then, as you read each book following, it all makes sense like a giant picture being unveiled. I am almost done with book 5 and I draw closer to book 7 (the finale) with excitement and sadness. I can't wait to find out what happens, but once it is done I will be sad to say goodbye Roland, Eddie, Susannah, Jake and Oy.
That is the main reason why (as much as I LOVE the Vampire Chronicles) I cannot bring myself to read Blood Canticle. I am told that Anne Rice will no longer write any Vampire or Witch books again... so I hesitate to read the last and bid farewell to Lestat.
I guess though stories, like all other things, must come to an end. It hurt at the end of Preacher. It was tough to lose Morpheous. Fortunately, Harry Potter 6 come out next month and we are sure to see at least one or two more. Ahh... a silver lining.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home